Broxburn - Town Origins
In 1350, upon the death of Sir Reginald le Cheyne III, the lands of Strabrok were divided between his daughters Margery and Mariot. Margery inherited the lands of Eastern Strabrok. Easteroun (meaning Eastern Town) was the hamlet which grew around the residence of Margery – named so after the land on which it stood.
Between the years 1443 and 1455 Eastertoun was burned to the ground on two occasions. After the conflicts, and with peace restored, a new town was developed on the banks of the burn.
In 1600, Sir Richard Cockburn of Clerkington, Keeper of the Privy Seal of Scotland, named the town Broxburn – most likely after Broxburn, East Lothian
Until the late 1800’s, Broxburn remained largely agricultural. The population of Broxburn and Uphall expanded greatly in the 19th century with the advent of the shale oil industry. An indicator of the local success are the population figures. In 1871, the population stood at 360. By 1891, that figure had risen to 922. By the end of the next decade, the figure stood at 1,840!
Evidence of the Shale Oil Industry is still evident by the sight of shale bings, most notably the bings at Greendykes and in nearby Philpstoun and Winchburgh.