• Broxburn Oil Works

    Broxburn Oil Works

  • West Main Street, Uphall

    West Main Street, Uphall

  • Almondell House

    Almondell House

  • Millers Bridge, Uphall

    Millers Bridge, Uphall

  • The Viaduct, Broxburn

    The Viaduct, Broxburn

  • The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

    The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

  • Viaduct, Broxburn

    Viaduct, Broxburn

  • Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

  • Main Street, Broxburn

    Main Street, Broxburn

  • Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

    Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

  • Almondell Bridge

    Almondell Bridge

  • Main Street, Uphall

    Main Street, Uphall

  • Greendykes Road, Broxburn

    Greendykes Road, Broxburn

  • St Nicholas Church, Uphall

    St Nicholas Church, Uphall

  • Main Street, Broxburn

    Main Street, Broxburn

  • Middleton Hall, Uphall

    Middleton Hall, Uphall

  • Station Road, Broxburn

    Station Road, Broxburn

  • Staff of Uphall Public School

    Staff of Uphall Public School

  • West End, Broxburn

    West End, Broxburn

  • Gala Day at Uphall Public School

    Gala Day at Uphall Public School

  • Station Road, Broxburn

    Station Road, Broxburn

  • Uphall Gala Day Parade - July 1926

    Uphall Gala Day Parade - July 1926

  • Broxburn Academy

    Broxburn Academy

  • Old Mill, Uphall

    Old Mill, Uphall

  • Goschen Place, Broxburn

    Goschen Place, Broxburn

  • Tram on Main Street, Uphall

    Tram on Main Street, Uphall

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26

The Wallace Stone

The Wallace Stone is near the road leading to Almondell Country Park from the Drumshoreland cross-roads.  It was erected on the 15th October 1784 by the 11th Earl of Buchan, David Stewart Erskine, and his wife Margaret Fraser on land which they owned.  Its believed to be the oldest surviving memorial to Sir William Wallace.

The Latin inscription translates to "Sacred to the memory of William Wallace October 15th 1784".


It is said that William Wallace hunted on Drumshoreland Moor and from this spot observed the army of King Edward I who were camped at Temple Liston (Kirkliston) prior to the Battle of Falkirk in July 1298.

The 11th Earl of Buchan was responsible for erecting the statue of William Wallace at Dryburgh in 1814.

Print Email