• Broxburn Oil Works

    Broxburn Oil Works

  • West Main Street, Uphall

    West Main Street, Uphall

  • Almondell House

    Almondell House

  • Millers Bridge, Uphall

    Millers Bridge, Uphall

  • The Viaduct, Broxburn

    The Viaduct, Broxburn

  • The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

    The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

  • Viaduct, Broxburn

    Viaduct, Broxburn

  • Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

  • Main Street, Broxburn

    Main Street, Broxburn

  • Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

    Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

  • Almondell Bridge

    Almondell Bridge

  • Main Street, Uphall

    Main Street, Uphall

  • Greendykes Road, Broxburn

    Greendykes Road, Broxburn

  • St Nicholas Church, Uphall

    St Nicholas Church, Uphall

  • Main Street, Broxburn

    Main Street, Broxburn

  • Middleton Hall, Uphall

    Middleton Hall, Uphall

  • Station Road, Broxburn

    Station Road, Broxburn

  • Staff of Uphall Public School

    Staff of Uphall Public School

  • West End, Broxburn

    West End, Broxburn

  • Gala Day at Uphall Public School

    Gala Day at Uphall Public School

  • Station Road, Broxburn

    Station Road, Broxburn

  • Uphall Gala Day Parade - July 1926

    Uphall Gala Day Parade - July 1926

  • Broxburn Academy

    Broxburn Academy

  • Old Mill, Uphall

    Old Mill, Uphall

  • Goschen Place, Broxburn

    Goschen Place, Broxburn

  • Tram on Main Street, Uphall

    Tram on Main Street, Uphall

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26

Broxburn - Town Origins

In 1350, upon the death of Sir Reginald le Cheyne III, the lands of Strabrok were divided between his daughters Margery and Mariot. Margery inherited the lands of Eastern Strabrok. Easteroun (meaning Eastern Town) was the hamlet which grew around the residence of Margery – named so after the land on which it stood.

Between the years 1443 and 1455 Eastertoun was burned to the ground on two occasions. After the conflicts, and with peace restored, a new town was developed on the banks of the burn.

In 1600, Sir Richard Cockburn of Clerkington, Keeper of the Privy Seal of Scotland, named the town Broxburn – most likely after Broxburn, East Lothian

Until the late 1800’s, Broxburn remained largely agricultural. The population of Broxburn and Uphall expanded greatly in the 19th century with the advent of the shale oil industry. An indicator of the local success are the population figures. In 1871, the population stood at 360. By 1891, that figure had risen to 922. By the end of the next decade, the figure stood at 1,840!

Evidence of the Shale Oil Industry is still evident by the sight of shale bings, most notably the bings at Greendykes and in nearby Philpstoun and Winchburgh.

Print Email