• Broxburn Oil Works

    Broxburn Oil Works

  • West Main Street, Uphall

    West Main Street, Uphall

  • Almondell House

    Almondell House

  • Millers Bridge, Uphall

    Millers Bridge, Uphall

  • The Viaduct, Broxburn

    The Viaduct, Broxburn

  • The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

    The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

  • Viaduct, Broxburn

    Viaduct, Broxburn

  • Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

  • Main Street, Broxburn

    Main Street, Broxburn

  • Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

    Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

  • Almondell Bridge

    Almondell Bridge

  • Main Street, Uphall

    Main Street, Uphall

  • Greendykes Road, Broxburn

    Greendykes Road, Broxburn

  • St Nicholas Church, Uphall

    St Nicholas Church, Uphall

  • Main Street, Broxburn

    Main Street, Broxburn

  • Middleton Hall, Uphall

    Middleton Hall, Uphall

  • Station Road, Broxburn

    Station Road, Broxburn

  • Staff of Uphall Public School

    Staff of Uphall Public School

  • West End, Broxburn

    West End, Broxburn

  • Gala Day at Uphall Public School

    Gala Day at Uphall Public School

  • Station Road, Broxburn

    Station Road, Broxburn

  • Uphall Gala Day Parade - July 1926

    Uphall Gala Day Parade - July 1926

  • Broxburn Academy

    Broxburn Academy

  • Old Mill, Uphall

    Old Mill, Uphall

  • Goschen Place, Broxburn

    Goschen Place, Broxburn

  • Tram on Main Street, Uphall

    Tram on Main Street, Uphall

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26

St Nicholas Church

St. Nicholas is one of two Churches in the Parish of Strathbrock.  The other Church is St. Machan in the village of Ecclesmachan (to the north of Uphall).  St. Nicholas Church dates from the 12th century and, when originally built, had a tower, a nave and a small chancel.  The chancel was doubled in length during the 13th century.

The Church bell was made in 1503 and has a latin inscription "Honore Sancti Nicholai campana ecclesie de Strabork" which translated means 'In honour of St. Nicholas, bell of the Church of Strabork".

The Shairp family built an aisle to the south of the nave in early 1600's.  The aisle is commonly known as the Houstoun or Shairp aisle and is the final resting place for many for many of the Shairp family.

The Church has memorials to the Shairps of Houstoun and Erskine families.

Communion TokenCommunion TokenThe pictures opposite show a Communion Token dated 1823.  The Minister at the time was John Ferguson who served the church between 1798 and 1824.  He died in 1835 aged 77.  The text on the front is "UPHALL 1823".  The text on the reverse is "I CORIN. XI. 28. 29".



In the 18th century an aisle to the north of the nave was built (known as the Middleton aisle).  However, in 1878 it was replaced with a new aisle (the present north aisle).   The belfry also dates from 1878.

Many members of the Buchan family and the Earls of Buchan are buried in a vault beneath the tower.

A restoration took place in the 1930's - which saw the galleries at both ends of the Church removed, the arch between the nave and tower re-opened, and the Shairp aisle re-opened.

 

Print Email