Street Name Origins - Broxburn
This is a list of a few streets in Broxburn which have been named after local people or places:
Major J P Cleghorne (d. 1910) was Head Teacher of the Broxburn Public School for 30 years.
Named after Fivestanks Farm. Fivestanks Farm probably owes its origin to the fact that five stanks or fish-ponds were situated nearby to supply the noble families of Kirkhill.
Believed to be a derivation of the name Freedland. Dr Freedland practiced medicine in Broxburn.
Joseph Scott Gardens
Dr Alexander Scott (d. 1956) first practiced in Broxburn under Dr Freedland. He also served as physician to the Broxburn Fever Hospital and as surgeon at the Broxburn Oil Works. Upon his passing, his son Dr Joseph Scott took on the practice in Broxburn.
These streets are located near to Kirkhill House. Kirkhill House was built in c. 1590.
McLeod Street is named after Miss McLeod, a former Head Teacher of Broxburn Public School.
Primrose Court is named after Rev James Primrose who was minister of Broxburn Parish Church. Rev Primrose also wrote the book 'History and Antiquities of the Parish of Uphall'.
Pyothall Road is near the location of the old Pyot Hall Farm.
Named after David Stewart Erskine, eleventh Earl Buchan.