• Broxburn Oil Works

    Broxburn Oil Works

  • West Main Street, Uphall

    West Main Street, Uphall

  • Almondell House

    Almondell House

  • Millers Bridge, Uphall

    Millers Bridge, Uphall

  • The Viaduct, Broxburn

    The Viaduct, Broxburn

  • The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

    The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

  • Viaduct, Broxburn

    Viaduct, Broxburn

  • Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

  • Main Street, Broxburn

    Main Street, Broxburn

  • Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

    Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

  • Almondell Bridge

    Almondell Bridge

  • Main Street, Uphall

    Main Street, Uphall

  • Greendykes Road, Broxburn

    Greendykes Road, Broxburn

  • St Nicholas Church, Uphall

    St Nicholas Church, Uphall

  • Main Street, Broxburn

    Main Street, Broxburn

  • Middleton Hall, Uphall

    Middleton Hall, Uphall

  • Station Road, Broxburn

    Station Road, Broxburn

  • Staff of Uphall Public School

    Staff of Uphall Public School

  • West End, Broxburn

    West End, Broxburn

  • Gala Day at Uphall Public School

    Gala Day at Uphall Public School

  • Station Road, Broxburn

    Station Road, Broxburn

  • Uphall Gala Day Parade - July 1926

    Uphall Gala Day Parade - July 1926

  • Broxburn Academy

    Broxburn Academy

  • Old Mill, Uphall

    Old Mill, Uphall

  • Goschen Place, Broxburn

    Goschen Place, Broxburn

  • Tram on Main Street, Uphall

    Tram on Main Street, Uphall

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26

Union Canal

Constructed between 1818 and 1823, the Union Canal brought labourers from far and wide. Rev James Primrose, in his book The History and Antiquity of the Parish of Uphall, wrote “This undertaking brought so many labourers of a questionable character about the place, that the parish minister of the day declared ‘they lowered very much the moral tone of the district, from which, he feared, it might never recover’.”!

Opened in 1822, the Union Canal stretches 31 miles from Edinburgh to Falkirk. The Canal quickly became the main transit route for goods, such as coal, to the city of Edinburgh.


However, with the opening of the Edinburgh to Glasgow Railway Line in 1841-1842, the Union Canal fell into a state of decline and closed to commercial traffic in 1933. It fully closed in 1965.

In 1994, the Millennium Commission awarded £32 million pounds to the Millennium Link project. In one of the biggest engineering projects undertaken by British Waterways, the result was the linking of the Union Canal with the Forth & Clyde Canal by way of a boat lift named the Falkirk Wheel. Work commenced in 1999 and the canals were re-opened in 2001.

Locally, the Bridge 19-40 Canal Society and Linlithgow Union Canal Society both continue to promote its use.

Links:

Print Email